Saliva plays a very important role in keeping your teeth and gums healthy. Some interesting facts about saliva are listed below!
- Saliva helps you to chew, taste and swallow your food.
- Adequate saliva flow reduces the number of bacteria in your mouth.
- Saliva contains proteins and minerals that help fight against tooth decay and periodontal disease and buffers the acids that surround your teeth from food.
- It helps prevent bad breath.
- Your saliva glands produce about 2- 4 pints in one day.
- Saliva helps clear food particles from your teeth.
If you experience xerostomia (dry mouth) it may indicate a sign of health concerns occurring in your body. Talk to your doctor to find out what the cause may be. Some medications have side effects that include dry mouth and can have quite an effect on your oral health.
Treatment remedies to help relieve dry mouth
1. drink water and stay hydrated
2. if possible, avoid medications that include dry mouth side effects
3. such on sugarless candies
4. use an alcohol-free mouth rinses
5. avoid habits that increase dehydration (caffeine, alcohol, sugar, smoking)
6. implement saliva substitutes into your daily oral care routine
7. chewing sugarless gum
8. improve your oral health care
9. try a dehumidifier and minimize any mouth breathing…breath through your nose
Ask your dental professional questions at your next dental visit if you have concerns or are interested in learning more about saliva and how it contributes to your oral health.