It comes from an infection that is trying to get out. An abscess can come from the nerve or the tooth or the gum of the tooth called a periodontal abscess. Your dentist may pop the abscess to drain and relieve the pressure but the source of the infection still needs to be treated. They may also recommend warm salt water rinses to help decrease the bacteria in your mouth.
Signs of an abscessed tooth are
• Pain, when the nerve dies it causes pain
• You may see a bubble or a white pimple on the inside part of gum beside the tooth that may become swollen and tender.
• Pain when you have hot or cold drinks or food that lingers
• A throbbing or heartbeat feeling in your tooth
What causes an abscess?
• Large untreated decay that injured the nerve.
• Untreated periodontitis
• When the nerve in the tooth has died or is damaged
How to treat an abscess?
• Extract the tooth
• Root canal therapy, this option can save the tooth and get rid of the pain
See your dentist right away to see if the tooth can be saved with a root canal or if the tooth has to be removed.